Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 12 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Not a wild rumour, given he started in the academy at Mansfield. Lower reaches of L1 is probably about right. Be good if we could get a few quid for him, though we signed him on a free so even freeing his wage up and "retaining a future interest" could be handy if he progresses.

Just seen that account has a whole 9 followers, most of whom seem to be Mansfield fans. No idea what that means.

To be fair, Smith leaving wouldn’t be shock of the century.

He evidently isn’t what Skubala is looking for in a midfielder. Granted, he looked a good fit for a Mark Kennedy team, but we’ve moved on.

Wouldn’t be upset to see him go - especially as it’d be for a fee considering we signed him 9 months ago on a free.

Agree that Smith is probably leaving. It’s a shame as there’s certainly a league 1 player in there, just didn’t work out and probably in everyone’s best interest (unless he’s going to get a run of games where he starts CM next season)

In his defence, Smith was largely played wide on the right which clearly didn't suit him. Although, you would think a good player might make a better fist of it.

Jenson has earnt clean sheets and points according to the stats. Cant remember the exact figures but when you count shots on target against goals conceded his goals prevented per game is almost double his nearest rival.
I haven't studied the stats to that level, so fair comment Oldshepherd.

Sack off the defence in that case!

I hope the blue heart isn't significant!

Bishop is Marmite on here because of his injury record, but MS has picked him when available, got a good run of games out of him and he could have been the game changer on Saturday.

I'd like to see him stay if (1) an appropriate contract can be agreed and (2) the sports science guys continue their plan.

That's exactly the problem, though: he wasn't the game changer because he was injured again.

Absolutely correct. Bishop is now in an identical position to Joe Walsh. A valuable player when fit, but if he continually misses games when he is badly needed, then he has to be released.

You just cannot get a tactical plan together for your next opposition when a player is fit one week, then a doubt for the next two. That is totally different to a player who is definitely out (like Hamilton for example) for the foreseeable future. The coach knows that, so the long term injured don't come into his game plan.

Skoobs had a week to plan tactically for the Portsmouth game not knowing until Friday what his midfield was going to be. You just can't do that multiple times a season, as he has had to put up with this season ((including our three final games) when considering whether Bishop would be fit or not for the upcoming game.

Absolutely correct. Bishop is now in an identical position to Joe Walsh. A valuable player when fit, but if he continually misses games when he is badly needed, then he has to be released.

You just cannot get a tactical plan together for your next opposition when a player is fit one week, then a doubt for the next two. That is totally different to a player who is definitely out (like Hamilton for example) for the foreseeable future. The coach knows that, so the long term injured don't come into his game plan.

Skoobs had a week to plan tactically for the Portsmouth game not knowing until Friday what his midfield was going to be. You just can't do that multiple times a season, as he has had to put up with this season ((including our three final games) when considering whether Bishop would be fit or not for the upcoming game.
Just to put a different slant on the 'ability to plan angle', it's very much the case if you are basing your game plan on Bishop being a starter. However if Bishop is just one option that may be available off the bench, that aspect becomes less important and becomes a potential windfall. Notwithstanding player/coach/remuneration need to be in harmony, with that involving a senior player in the case of Bishop.

Joe Walsh didn't get another club, so it's not inevitable that Teddy will simply walk away to a good contract elsewhere; conversely it may not be as simple as Teddy does not offer good value to the club just because he isn't going to start regularly.

....and it was catching up with us game by game and in the end it was a game too far.

In the end Erhahon was the only real constant in the midfield. Mandroiu was a hit and miss and it was a big ask for Moylan considering his experience and the quick acclimatisation he had to make from the Irish league to the top end of League 1.

Credit everyone for getting us to the position they did but if your squad doesn't go as deep as you would like having your better players available and consistency in team selection is massively important to producing a successful team.

Just to put a different slant on the 'ability to plan angle', it's very much the case if you are basing your game plan on Bishop being a starter. However if Bishop is just one option that may be available off the bench, that aspect becomes less important and becomes a potential windfall. Notwithstanding player/coach/remuneration need to be in harmony, with that involving a senior player in the case of Bishop.

Joe Walsh didn't get another club, so it's not inevitable that Teddy will simply walk away to a good contract elsewhere; conversely it may not be as simple as Teddy does not offer good value to the club just because he isn't going to start regularly.

Yes. I agree Bishop would be a decent option off the bench on a much reduced contract. But there is no way he should be offered a contract on his current wage as a midfield starter. However I have a feeling there will be club out there who will take a chance on him at close to his current contract wages If that happens I think the club will just let him go.

Not long before we find out!

I wonder how "bad" Jensen's distribution is.

How many goals have we conceded due to kicking errors from the keeper?

We mix up whether we play out from the back or kick long, so his decision making is pretty good.

Also if you compare him to say Rushworth, who was not able to clear the half way line if there was a breeze against him.... at least with Jensen, if once a game then ball is 80 yards away in the stand you aren't immediately under pressure having to defend your goal.

His distribution is not a particular strength but I am not convinced it's a massive weakness either.

I would rather he kicked the ball out of play from time to time and couldn’t ping a 40 yard cross field pass to a teammate than be what he is, a very good shot stopper that is commanding of his area. He and the whole defence have been superb this season.

I wonder how "bad" Jensen's distribution is.

How many goals have we conceded due to kicking errors from the keeper?

We mix up whether we play out from the back or kick long, so his decision making is pretty good.

Also if you compare him to say Rushworth, who was not able to clear the half way line if there was a breeze against him.... at least with Jensen, if once a game then ball is 80 yards away in the stand you aren't immediately under pressure having to defend your goal.

His distribution is not a particular strength but I am not convinced it's a massive weakness either.
Maybe more his ability with the ball at his feet, rather than "distribution" per se. Modern 'keepers seem to have to be sweepers as well as stoppers.